To recall, total analytical error was proposed by Westgard in 1974. It made a lot of sense to me and I proposed to CLSI that a total analytical error standard should be written. This proposal was approved and I formed a subcommittee which I chaired and in 2003, the CLSI standard EP21-A, which is about total analytical error was published.
When it was time to revise the standard – all standards are considered for revision – I realized that the standard had some flaws. Although the original Westgard article was specific to total analytical error, it seemed that to a clinician, any error that contributed to the final result was important regardless of its source. And for me, who often worked in blood gas evaluations, user error was an important contribution to total error.
Hence, I suggested the revision to be about total error, not total analytical error and EP21-A2 drafts had total error in the title. There were some people within the subcommittee and particularly one or two people not on the subcommittee but in CLSI management, who hated the idea, threw me off my own subcommittee and ultimately out of CLSI.
But recently (in 2018) a total error task force published an article which contained the statement, to which I have previously referred:
“Lately, efforts have been made to expand the TAE concept to the evaluation of results of patient samples, including all phases of the total testing process.” (I put in the bolding).
Hence, I’m hoping that the next revision, EP21-A3 will be about total error, not total analytical error.